Sunday 25 November 2012

The Darkest day


Everyone have heard about the May 13 incident. This is a dark spot in the Malaysia’s history as it has aroused the racial issues that have made our country suffers in a lot of ways; socially, economically and politically. Fortunately, the Malaysians have learnt the importance to have unity and harmony in order to create a safe and developed nation. However, the May 13 incident has became an unforgettable pain and will always be a lesson to the Malaysians.
This is a story of an old man whom has experienced the May 13 incident when he was younger.
“I remembered when the May 13 incident exploded, I was only short of one week to my 19th birthday, and I will never forget how I was brought home safely by some Chinese men. I needed to pass through crooked path and jungles to get to a safe spot. That might be 1 hour walk, but to me, it seemed like there’s no end for the path and jungles. All I did was run and run and run..
I dint know what exactly happened. I was told to run for my life when I finished my breakfast at home. I did hear about some rumors about the conflicts between the Chinese and Malay. While being an Indian, I wasn’t too concern about it until this actually threatened my life! All I know was that the riot was sparked off by the misunderstood betweens the Malays and Chinese. Only after the incident people realized it was the politicians that started off this disaster.
I worked for the Chinese Business men in the city, and I lived in the city. When the May 13 incident exploded, the city was destroyed by the Malays. I was paranoid when I heard screams and shouts in the end of the street. There were few Malays holding weapons and hurting innocent people living in the city, mostly the poor Chinese. Even though I am Indian, I was worried that what if they hurt me too, especially because I work for the Chinese. I have developed a good relationship with my employer. He was a really good boss. He had a family of a wife and two children. I realized they were all in danger and ran to their homes. Fortunately, they were already gone. As I wanted to leave the empty house, someone knocked on the door. I answered that, as I knew they were here to haunt for the Chinese, not me. As they searched the house, I escape through the back door. Unfortunately I was spotted by one of the man. They must have thought that I have helped the Chinese to escape thus chasing after me. I ran through the jungles and was blocked by some Chinese men. Luckily I knew one of the man and told him the story. They led me through small paths and jungles to get to a safe spot. I stayed there for two nights and was then led home safely by some Chinese.
I did now know what happened outside but I prayed for every innocent ones’ safety.
Many were murdered and hurt during this incident. I was fortunate to be one of the survivors.”
I believe that we all learn from mistakes. This sad strategy have become a lesson to all: violence will not solve conflicts but only create more conflicts. We should always bare in mind that unity bring us victory and peace and harmony is the important element in the effort of building a developed country.

No comments:

Post a Comment